[wisb] Bobcats 3 Eider 0

  • From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 13:10:47 -0600

That should get everyone's attention!  The Lukes' told me where the
King Eider had been seen on the Sturgeon Bay count.  I had a feeling
it would not stay but I headed over this morning to Portage County
Park, which is a little north of the lighthouse and canal.  There
were almost no ducks present, so unfortunately my feeling was
correct.  I headed home via Algoma and Kewaunee.  Algoma had a male
Green-winged Teal and Hooded Merganser, but almost no gulls.
Kewaunee had no duck variety except the few basics.  There were many
gulls there but only 1 Great Black-backed and 1 Thayer's.  No Ring-
billeds were present, which is a bit unusual.

Now the Bobcat heading.  I helped on the Norske CBC yesterday.  I
have not seen a count area that quiet in years!!!!!  Nothing heard or
seen for most of the time.  And this was despite stop after stop in
swamps and woods.  The one exception was near the junction of Cty PP
and P in western Shawano county.  As I was pishing----not one bird---
suddenly a Bobcat appeared on the north side of the road.  It
proceeded across, soon followed by two more Bobcats.  They remained
along the shoulder for a few minutes (I was really enjoying them),
until I resumed pishing.  They crossed the road and went into the
swamp.  And that was the only highlight for the count---THREE BOBCATS!!
Daryl Tessen
Appleton, WI