[wisb] Bird Bathing! Polk County

  • From: Jeff Virant <rainbow@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 10:43:00 -0600

Hi all,

Just a brief note to report that during the GBBC, when the temperature was
around 35° on Rainbow Pond, I observed an apparently obsessive-compulsive neat
freak of a house sparrow. In a very small puddle of water down by the pond,
this neat freak was vigorously bathing, splashing water to and fro. As an
amateur birder, I naïvely thought that birdbaths were taken for health and
hygiene reasons in much warmer weather. It would seem like a risky procedure in
near freezing temperatures. A small bird that size cannot have one extra degree
of temperature to spare. On the other hand, I suspect that there is much
biological information about birdbaths and bird bathing habits that I do not
know. I'd be grateful for anybody else's information.
Best birding.

Jeff Virant
Deer Park, WI   (Polk County)
rainbow@xxxxxxxxxxx