[wisb] Antigo CBC - a few surprises

  • From: Nancy Richmond <polarpastor@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 10:01:55 -0600

Hi Wisbirders -
The Antigo CBC was Saturday. Our circle is 3/4 open farmland with some
patches of woods. The Antigo Flats (potato production) is the home of the
Wisconsin's state soil - Antigo Silt Loam. The fields are often great places
for snow buntings which they produced in good numbers on our count.

The count was pretty predictable, though there weren't as many Rough-legged
Hawks as in some years.

But there were a couple of surprises -
A Hermit Thrush in a wooded area - Lynn Schimmels who has birded here for
decades has never seen one much past late fall.
And a very fluffed up, very cold looking Savannah Sparrow along a roadside
next to a still unharvested cornfield.

Nancy Richmond
Polar - Langlade Co.