[wisb] A good day at the UW Arboretum - Carolina Wren

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2012 20:43:28 -0600

I went for a hike at the UW Arboretum in Madison late this morning/early this
afternoon.  (The trails, as expected, were icy, but I had a spike-tipped hiking
staff, which helped quite a bit.)  The big spring in Wingra Woods was rather
quiet - just a flock of Mallards, and a Robin singing quietly somewhere out of
sight.  I hiked down to the skunk cabbage spring (the cabbage was beginning to
come up - reinforced the feeling of Spring!)  There were a couple of Tufted
Titmice there, and two Song Sparrows (based mostly on the chip notes) flushed
out of the tall vegetation along the spring and dove back into cover.  I walked
up to the road, hoping to get a better look at the sparrows.  One of the
Titmice was going through its repertoire of vocalizations, when all of a sudden
a Carolina Wren burst into full song from down by the spring (very definitely
NOT the Titmouse, and twice as loud.)  I pished, but couldn't get a look at it.
 This was across from the last few houses on Arboretum Drive before you get to
Wingra Woods.

I also hiked in to the Lost City Forest, hoping to maybe hear a Great Horned
Owl - in fact, I'm pretty sure I heard a pair dueting softly (at 1:00 in the
afternoon, on a sunny day - go figure.)  I came back past the Teal Pond
wetlands, and saw a Hermit Thrush feeding on buckthorn berries.  A little
further on, a No. Flicker flushed off a small tamarack.  The usual flock of
Turkeys was foraging along the edge of the gardens near Gallistel Woods.

Around 4:30, I checked Lower Mud Lake in McFarland.  There were circa 230
Tundra Swans (plus five Mutes) - couldn't pick out any Trumpeters, but they're
all the way across the lake from the overlook at the end of Highland Ave.  Also
had 200+ Common Mergansers and 300+ C. Goldeneye, plus a few No. Shovelers and
11 Canvasbacks.  One adult Bald Eagle was sitting on an ice shelf.   Just
before 5:00 p.m., most of the thousand or so Canada Geese left - must have been
suppertime.

Peter Fissel
Madison, Dane Co.