[wisb] 3 sp. Scoters,others Harrington Beach S.P./Ozaukee Co.

  • From: "Tom Wood" <tcwood729@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 17:47:09 -0600

All 3 scoters were at Harrington Beach State Park this morning. I estimated
25 White-winged Scoters which were scattered in small flocks , most of them
quite far out, but with diligent scoping could be seen from almost any point
along the lakeshore in the park. Three Black Scoters were just north of the
point,

and 3 Surf Scoters were seen from the south picnic area.

Large numbers of Long-tailed Ducks were also present, and due to calm
conditions mid-morning I was able to scope several flocks within reasonable
scoping distance, and at 60X I was able to see the details of these birds.

A Glaucous Gull was also seen as well as a Thayer's/Kumlien Gull which was
too far out for me to positively ID, although I lean toward a Kumlien's with

exceptionally dark wingtips.

The faithful Northern Shrike was about 200 yards south of the entrance
station. It seems to use the entire upland area because I seldom see it at
the same

spot.

Thomas Wood,Menomonee Falls,Waukesha County