[wisb] 2nd hand report: Probable N Mockingbird in Ashland + Duluth Black-headed Grosbeak, Gyrfalcon, Sharp-shinned Hawk

  • From: Chris West <little_blue_birdie@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "[Wisb]" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 19:34:00 -0600

Hi all,
Just talked to my friend Ethan Gyllenhaal from Chicago who is currently in
Ashland, WI.  He has spent the last few days in the Ashland/Duluth/Meadowlands
area.  He asked me to pass on a few of his sightings to the list.
Duluth: The Black-headed Grosbeak continues in the same location as previously
reported on MNOU net.
The Ashland Gyrfalcon was present on the ore dock today at about 1pm. While
viewing the Gyr, he also heard a Northern Mockingbird that he said a couple
other people saw shortly thereafter. Apparently, it was seen behind a blue
house to the east of the ore dock.  Sorry, I don't have any more specifics.
Ethan said he also saw a Sharp-shinned Hawk while watching the Falcon.

Sax-zim Bog had most of the usual suspects except for Evening Grosbeak.  Ethan
mentioned that Bohemian Waxwings were plentiful this year.  Aitkin County had
both Great Gray and N Hawk-owls.

Happy Birding and Happy New Year!! --Chris W, stuck at home tonight in Richland
County
http://swallowtailedkite.blogspot.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/swallowtailphoto

"The beauty and genius of a work of art may be reconceived, though its first
material expression be destroyed; a vanished harmony may yet again inspire the
composer; but when the last individual of a race of living things breathes no
more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be
again."

(From William Beebe's "The Bird: Its Form and Function," 1906)

 EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD
Join me