[windows2000] Re: how to switch back

  • From: "Chris Berry" <compjma@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 12:50:18 -0700

>From: Darlene <babydoveme@xxxxxxxxx>
>I am having such a problem with permissions and things like that with
>win2k. I no longer give a care
>about the supposed security leaks by being online under administrator. I am
>having too much of a
>problem getting programs to run under a user name.

There are several ways to fix this problem:

The best way:  Get regmon and filemon from sysinternals and find out what
your program is trying to access, then give your user sufficient
permissions.  The downside is this is kind of complicated.

A good way:  Give your user write permission to program files and winnt and
full control of HKLM\Software.  This is less secure but reasonably easy and
fast

An ok way:  Make your user a power user.  This often opens you up to a
number of security risks but is the least hassle to deal with.

The wrong way:  Do everything as administrator.  This is not a good idea,
and I don't recommend it, especially if you don't know what you're doing.
However, all that said, as long as you have a good virus scanner, spybot
detector and firewall, you're probably ok for home use.

>Now I can't get front page 2002 to work under my user name.  I just want to
>outlook express info from my user name over
>to administrator.  Can someone please tell me how to merge these two screen
>names and be done
>with it?

Export your outlook express settings, and import them from your admin user
id.

>OH GAWD! could someone please help me or show me where to find a tutorial I
>can understand in
>english, just plain old english (heheheheh yeah right huh?)  I cant handle
>this
>sorry this was soooooooooo long

Sounds like you just need a decent win2kpro manual, you can pick one up at
any bookstore with a computer section, or order one from www.amazon.com

Chris Berry
compjma@xxxxxxxxxxx
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"This email is ROT26 encrypted, by reading it you are in violation of the
DMCA, and should turn yourself in to the authorities immediately."