[windows2000] Re: Windows2000 pro installation error (with LSI Logic -LSIU160 scsi card and IBM 36G DDY-T36950M scsi HD)

  • From: "Chris Berry" <compjma@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 14:33:34 -0800

>From: Bing-Hung Chen <bhchen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Chris Berry wrote:
> >>From: Bing-Hung Chen <bhchen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >>I just purchased a LSI Logic SCSI card (LSIU160) with a 36G IBM SCSI HD
> >>(DDYS-T36950M) to be used with a Win2k pro OS.
> >Did it come with a driver disk?
>No, but I did download the most updated driver from the manufacturer's
>website.

Then put that on a disk so that you can use it at the beginning of the
install when you have to hit F6 to install third party scsi drivers.

> >>2. Installed Win2k on top of the WinME (had tried either doing a clean
> >>installation, or just simply installing Win2k to a separate directory).
> >Do you have a full version of win2k (please say yes) or just the upgrade
> >version?
>Yes, mine is the full version win2k.

Ok, take the winME disk outside and pour gasoline on it, then light it from
a safe distance, once it's been safely destroyed and can no longer
contaminate your system we can start doing something useful.  Do this:

insert win98 boot disk with smartdrv file
fdisk delete and create partitions then reboot
format c: /u and reboot
md cab
insert win2k cd
cd cab
a:\smartdrv.exe
remove floppy
copy e:\i386\*.*
remove win2k cd
setup.exe
follow directions, making sure to put in scsi driver when prompted at bottom
of screen.
ENJOY!!

> >Did you install the third party scsi driver when prompted?
>It never asked me for that during the 1st phase installation (the system
>simply copied files onto the HD).

It does, but it's at the bottom of the screen and you have to hit F6

> >When you install win2k you need to reinstall the drivers.
>But, how? It never went into the 2nd phase of the installation?
>Had also tried doing a dos-based installation by using a Win98 startup
>disk, then went into Win2k CD's \i386 directory and ran the installer
>from there. No luck still!!

You're on the right track, just make sure to install the drivers early on
when prompted at the bottom.

Chris Berry
compjma@xxxxxxxxxxx
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"The packets involved in the transmission of this email were manually
inspected by: Bob Smith, stateful packet inspector #23."

http://www.rtosoft.com/Enter.asp?ID=79