[windows2000] Re: Way OT

  • From: "Sorin Srbu" <sorin.srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 08:43:09 +0200

windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <> sez on Wednesday, May 04, 2005 2:43
AM:

> Ok guys, Way OT but want to get opinions/feedback here. Those of you
> on 24 hr support....

<sigh> "Me too"...

>what do you do for the 3AM calls?

Go fix them. What else to do, it's your job.

However, me personally I managed to negotiate that all those support
calls should be routed through either of my two bosses *first*. This
effectively cuts down on those "the toner is out, come change it!"-calls
[Yes, I've gotten them late on new years eve... However...]. The
negotiation also includes the paragraph that even if the support
requesting person calls me directly, they still need to have this
cleared with the either of the bosses, usually the boss then calls me
and I stumble away.

Should this not be cleared with the boss first, I refuse the request, no
matter what the problem is.

This support pathway is written into the support policy available on our
intranet, and more important, the bosses have blessed it, making it
extremely official.

>What about those with family...wife/kids and 3AM calls?

As above.

>Those of you not 24 hrs, would you agree to 24 hr support?

Try to slither out of it. If this is not possible, agree but with all
possible sub-paragraphs regarding that "red" days should really be red,
if kids ill stay at home, etc. Basically whatever you can come up with
to minimise the off-hour support calls. Be sure to include what kind of
compensation you'll get for the off-hour calls, more pay, extra
days/hours off, free lunch etc, whatever takes your fancy. Another good
thing is to prioritise the support requests on a scale. Do you really
need to come and exchage that toner cartridge, can't it wait till
tomorrow morning; do you need to fix that server now, or can it wait,
get my drift?

HTH.

BW,

Sorin

# Sorin Srbu, Systems Engineer  Web: http://pharm.orgfarm.uu.se/pc/
# Dept of Medicinal Chemistry,  Phone: +46 (0)18-4714482 >3 signals> GSM
# Div of Org Pharm Chem,        Mobile Phone: +46 (0)701-718023
# Box 574, Uppsala University,  Fax: +46 (0)18-4714474
# SE-751 23 Uppsala, Sweden     Visit: BMC, Husargatan 3, D5:512b
#
# Public PGP key available on request.
#
# ()  ASCII ribbon campaign - Against html E-mail
# /\
#
# Harmless tagline follows:
#
# BOFH excuse follows: we just switched to Sprint.