[windows2000] VB6: Getting a "Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server" error message, and cannot figure out why

  • From: "Rod Falanga" <rfalanga@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <VBDATA-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <AbqVBug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 14:26:57 -0600

We wrote a couple of VB6 applications which have been in use for several years
now.  We have several external customers who dial into our network and use
those applications.  In order to use our apps, they have to have an account on
our Active Directory 2000 network and log into their machine using a username
and password which matches our network's username and password.

Anyway, some of these users have stopped being able to use our application.
They are getting the following error message, "[DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen
(Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.  (Microsoft OLE DB
Provider for SQL Server)(-2147467259)"

This is making me pull my hair out.  I have called Microsoft and got it working
for some of these.  We could that the SQL Server server wasn't pointing to our
network's WINS server.  We've fixed that, and that seems to have helped, but
not everyone.

I've just been working on one user's laptop, trying to make it work, and I keep
getting this error message.  I even went into that user's dial-up network
connections and (a) specified our DNS server but no WINS server, (b) specified
the WINS server but no DNS server, (c) specified both the DNS server and the
WINS server.  But none of these settings helped!

So, what's wrong?!

I do not know if this makes a difference or not, but this particular user has
AOL on his laptop.

(He has Windows XP Home Edition installed and I've installed service pack 1 for
XP onto it.)

Rod Falanga
http://amci.unm.edu