[windows2000] Re: Updating multiple systems

  • From: "Chris Berry" <compjma@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 16:47:47 -0700

From: "Daniel Curry" <dcurry@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
As the IT Mangler for a start-up, many of my (l)users complaint that
the update process takes too long, causes too many reboots, etc.  There
fore they are not doing these updates, as mandated.
Is there a way to 'push' the updates from a centralized server to the
machines?
I am running a mix of Win2k Pro and XP Pro, suggestions and comments
would be greatly appreciated.

Set up an SUS server and configure the workstations auto-updater (in the control panel) to download automatically.

First, please don't top post it messes up the archives.

Three questions.
(1) SUS server, can you direct me to a HOW-TO or other similar
documentation?

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/windowsupdate/sus/susdeployment.asp

(2) Will this server/service FORCE the update not just onto the hard
drive, but INTO the system configuration?

It's a pull system from the workstation, but if properly configured everything runs automagically as long as the computer is on at the scheduled time.

Most of our workers are on laptops that go home most every night.
And one of my VP's can be 'difficult'.  This is a method of providing
what she asked for, that I update her machine, and not interfere with
her work.  So I want to force the updates onto her machine, into her
configuration, and cause the required reboots in such a way that she
will change her mind, and start doing the updates, herself.

I don't think you'd want that, it would require her to have administrative priveledges.

(3) is there a method to query a machine remotely on the AD to determine
is current SP/patch level?

Go to the computer entry in AD Users and Computers, right click, select properties, select operating system tab.

But I would do this instead:

Use your preferred remote registry tool to look at:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion

and check out this key

CSDVersion

Both of those would give you the service pack level, but for patches you're better off looking in the registry, and it's easier to automate.

Chris Berry
compjma@xxxxxxxxxxx
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"Conciousness: that annoying time between naps."

Help protect your PC: Get a free online virus scan at McAfee.com. http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?cid=3963