[windows2000] Re: Storage Solutions

  • From: "Sorin Srbu" <Sorin.Srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 15:44:00 +0200

I'm in more or less the same situation. I now have a 2ry DC running
as a file server, with all user folders, shared docs etc. The
hardware is four or five scsi-drives rangning from 9 to 170 GB. No
raid involved here. The files herein are copied weekly to a
win2k-workstation running a 3x300G striping ide-raid (raid 0, the
simple one?). After a few weeks those files are moved to a hp
ultrium tapedrive and archived. Together with the Volume Shadow
Copy-function on the win2k3-file servers we have a good enough
backup solution.

I was thinking of somehow expanding the 2ry DC file space, and
thinking of perhaps getting another big scsi-hd, and making it a
striping raid with the biggest hd already there, that was bought
some two years ago. But I'm not quite sure this is cost effective.
Besides I haven't been able to find any 170GB scsi-drives. Seems
like 140GB is the biggest now (can somebody confirm?).

OTOH, one of the unix-guys who gets his funding from somewhere else
bought a lacie NAS of about 300GB, this runs winxp embedded, and he
reports it's been nothing but problems with it... The guy is a
security freak and installed some software firewall and did some
unorthodix things to the NAS, so this might be why the NAS isn't
feeling quite well. Also the patches available at lacie aren't well
documented, as he downloaded a patch and installed it, only to find
oput a few weeks later when lacie disclosed the info, that this
patch wasn't for his version of the lacie...

HTH.

--Original Message Text---
From: Greg Reese
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 09:28:00 -0400

Storage Solutions

I wanted to start a discussion on this to see what the rest of you
are doing and get a better understanding myself as I get pushed
this direction.

Currently, all our network drives are shared off of one server.  It
has two raid 5 arrays and has about 60GB of total file space.  All
the user home drives are there, plus the departmental shares, a
public chare etc.

Those drives are nearly full.  My SQL server is running into the
same wall.  I backup my SQL databases to disk then put those
backups on tape.  I have enough disk for the databases but the
backups fail sometimes if the previous nights files don't get
removed first.

I dont think just replacing the current drives on these servers
with bigger drives is the answer.

I have looking into setting up a SAN but they cost a small fortune.
 I can generally spend whatever I want here but I can't justify
spending that much on storage.

I have also looked at those Iomega 1u storage servers but they seem
cheap and a little weak for the kind of reliability I need.

What else is there for adding storage?  We have gigabit Ethernet in
place on the server rack.  Most of the clients connect via Citrix
so the connections from their sessions to the other servers is
really good.

Is there something in between?  A SAN is nice, but I don't need my
servers to boot from it or anything.  I just need storage available
to the network somehow and need it available fast enough that it
doesn't bog things down.

My other thought is that I can set my backups to backup to disk and
then back that up to tape so users aren't slowed down by backup.  A
couple of DLT drives in a server isn't cutting it for backup
anymore either.

BW,

Sorin