[windows2000] Re: Sniffing

  • From: Chris Berry <chris_berry-list-windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 12:59:09 -0800

Bill Beckett wrote:

Beginner sniffer here using a demo of etherpeek. Question I have is, can you
sniff from a workstation across a switch or will you only see what's on that
segment?

Unless you're using a promiscous port on the switch you'll only see traffic for that segment. If you have a quality switch, you should be able to configure this, otherwise you'll have to use some sort of arp poisoning (which will cause serious network slowdown, be careful).

chris_berry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Systems Administrator
JM Associates & Coast Business Service

"Some days you fix the multi-million dollar machine, other days the $12 stapler kicks your ass."