[windows2000] Raid5 on WinXP

  • From: "Sorin Srbu" <sorin.srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 16:06:30 +0200

Situation: Have 5x 160GB hard drives currently in a raid0 configuration, and
getting occasional errors with Azureus. Motherboard has six SATA-connectors
and a built-in raid chip from Silicon Image able to handle max four disks.
Mobo also has a Nvraid-chip, max four disks here too. But one can only use
either the Silicon Image chip *or* the Nvraid, which limits me to a four-disk
raid array at the max.

Solution (or so I though): Deleting the raid0 array and let WinXP handle a
software raid5 array with five disks.

New situation. WinXP doesn't allow for a software raid5 array... WinXP is
basically limited to raid0 and jbod only. Only Windows 2000 Server and up does
raid5 out of the box. 8-/

New solution: Checking for SATA raid controllers with more than four
connectors.

New situation: SATA raid controllers with more than four connectors are hugely
expensive! Therefore this is a no-go for now.

Guys, are there any other solutions I might look into that aren't too pricey?
Like preferably within the ?100 range? And the week has just about started...
8-}

--
BW,
        Sorin