[windows2000] Re: OT: diskreplacements for HP Netserver LH3000r

  • From: "Sorin Srbu" <sorin.srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 16:23:50 +0200

windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <> scribbled on Wednesday, October 12,
2005 11:15 AM:

FYI:

I got the mentioned Seagate Cheetas 73GB harddrives (at a fraction of
the hp replacement prices, and at the same time became the hero of the
day with my boss) and replaced the older HP 18GB drives (there was a lot
of screwing and unscrewing...).

I'm currently installing Win2k3 server on the raid-array. Works very
good so far. 8-)

Thx for all the hints and help ppl!

http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/discsales/marketing/detail/1,1081,54
> 0,00
>> .html
>
> I believe it's the same model range I've been looking at, only
bigger -
> 73GB.
>
>> I pulled the drive sizes I mentioned in my first reply from websites
>> selling the drives, not from HP so take them with a grain of salt.
>
> Gotcha'. Thx for letting me know this. I was thinking about this last
> night, couldn't sleep over it for a while.... 8-)
>
>> Given that the Seagate I measured and the D9420A you measured have
the same
>> measurements, I can't see a reason why you wouldn't be able to move
to a
>> different manufacturers drive. The only problem I could see was if
you were
>> still under HP support on the drives/controller and you had a
problem, HP
>> could say "Hey, those aren't HP drives so we won't help you with
drive
>> specific problems".
>
> No warranties left. So there shouldn't be any problem removing the old
> 18G drives from the cages and instead inserting the bigger seagates
> then? I was thinking the raid would see that the drives weren't from
hp
> or something... I think I'll try getting the Seagates then. If it
won't
> work, I'll return them to the dealer.
>
> Thx for the feedback!
>

>> Hope this helps,