[windows2000] Re: OT: diskreplacements for HP Netserver LH3000r

  • From: "Sorin Srbu" <sorin.srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 11:15:06 +0200

windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <> scribbled on Tuesday, October 11,
2005 8:45 PM:

> Sorin,
> I grabbed one of our Seagate Ultra 320 SCSI drives from the closet and
took
> some measurements:
> 10cm x 14.5cm x 2.5cm
>
> Here is the model of Seagate that I measured -

http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/discsales/marketing/detail/1,1081,54
0,00
> .html

I believe it's the same model range I've been looking at, only bigger -
73GB.

> I pulled the drive sizes I mentioned in my first reply from websites
selling
> the drives, not from HP so take them with a grain of salt.

Gotcha'. Thx for letting me know this. I was thinking about this last
night, couldn't sleep over it for a while.... 8-)

> Given that the Seagate I measured and the D9420A you measured have the
same
> measurements, I can't see a reason why you wouldn't be able to move to
> different manufacturers drive. The only problem I could see was if you
were
> still under HP support on the drives/controller and you had a problem,
HP
> could say "Hey, those aren't HP drives so we won't help you with drive
> specific problems".

No warranties left. So there shouldn't be any problem removing the old
18G drives from the cages and instead inserting the bigger seagates
then? I was thinking the raid would see that the drives weren't from hp
or something... I think I'll try getting the Seagates then. If it won't
work, I'll return them to the dealer.

Thx for the feedback!

> Hope this helps,
> Nathan Grandbois
> Cerdant, Inc.
> 614.717.0123 ext. 26

In
>> inches that'd be (assuming 1 inch is 2,54 cm) 3,98" x 5,79" x 0,98".
>>
>> What is half-and full height really? I've seen some older seagates we
>> have in another server which are rather "thicker" (higher?), but the
>> same size otherwise. Those're about double the height as the
netserver
>> drives are. Assuming the older drives I mention are full-height, then
>> the netserver drives most propably are half-height. But then
>> the heights
>> you mention don't match, 0,98" from my measuring and you
>> mention 1,6"??.
>>
>> The cage itself though, is 3,3cm high, approx 1,3", in order to fit
the
>> drive.
>>
>> This is getting confusing...
>>

>>> Sorin,
>>> I've done a little searching and found what I think to be the only
>>> limiting factor in switching to a different manufacturer, and that
is
>> the drive
>> size.
>>> Apparently, the D9420A drives are "Half-Height" drives. Other than
that
>>> they are standard 10K RPM Ultra3 SCSI drives. According to one of
>> the sites
>>> found, the drive size is 1.6 inches, which is smaller than the
smallest
>>> ones Seagate makes which are 2.5 inches. If these drives really are
that
>>> size, you may be limited to replacing it with the same sized drive.
>>> Basically, form factor looks to be the only thing stopping you. Can
you
>>> confirm that the "Half-Height" statement is true or not?
>>>
>>> Nathan Grandbois
>>> Cerdant, Inc.
>>> 614.717.0123 ext. 26

LH3000r