[windows2000] Re: OT - Internet Access

  • From: "Michael Miller" <mikemiller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 14:48:58 -0700

The backbones look fine to me...

http://www.internethealthreport.com/

or more specifically:
http://www.internethealthreport.com/1/AT_T_to_AT_T/

mike

-----Original Message-----
From: windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Greg Reese
Sent: Wednesday, August 20, 2003 7:14 AM
To: Windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [windows2000] OT - Internet Access

I am curious about something.  I think AT&T is feeding me a line of BS and
want to see how everyone else is doing.

Our AT&T DSL service has been crap for over a week now.  we pay for a
768/768 connection and I am getting less than 128k out of it.  They telling
me they are having trouble and have been having trouble since the 12th.
They are not sure when they will have it fixed.  They said it is a backbone
problem and that lots of ISPs and lots of areas are affected and not just
me.

What sucks is that starting last week, I convinced my bosses here to do a
test with VPN to connect our remote locations instead of the expensive frame
relay.  It worked great last week.  This week it runs like crap because our
internet connection is so poor.  My ping averages were in the 90ms range
last week and now they are in the 200ms area and half of them time out.

IS anyone else having internet problems like this with AT&T or anyone else?

For those of you on VPN, what do you do to work around things like this when
they arise?

Greg
know, in most cases, CPU Utilization IS NOT the single biggest constraint to
scaling up?! Get this free white paper to understand the real constraints &
how to overcome them. SAVE MONEY by scaling-up rather than buying more
servers.
http://www.rtosoft.com/Enter.asp?ID=148