[windows2000] Re: OT: Hard Drive

  • From: Scott Williams <srwms@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 08:22:04 -0700 (PDT)

It might be the device driver in Vista.

  Spinning down a drive is considered by some to be an optimization
  with the intention of improving the drive lifespan and reducing power,
  heat, and noise...

  That should not be the case at boot time though.

  If this is the only such drive under similar circumstances, with the
  same driver, RMA seems like a good choice.

  You could run it under XP for a while if you aer into experiments.

  Nothing more uncomfortable than not being able to boot reliably.
  Drives are cheap.

  Scott Williams

"Charles R. Buchanan" <daphatbell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Have a hard drive that I think is defective. (again) I'm not certain
though, thus this message. :-)

At first I thought it was something that Vista did because that is when
i first noticed it when I was running Vista. The hard drive would spin
down for no apparent reason. I would fire up XP and it wouldn't do
that.

However, of late, the drive sometimes don't spin up enough to be
recognized by the BIOS during startup. I have to restart the computer
once, and sometimes more than once in order to have it recognized. I was
thinking it might be a power thing, but I feel I have ruled that out.

So I'll probably wiped it and RMA it. Any thoughts?

When a computer dies, does it see a blue screen?