[windows2000] Re: Naïve security question

  • From: "Drew Shriner" <drew@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 23:04:14 -0500

It's another MS dream. It's not a terrible idea for home users that
don't know what they're doing. But in a corporate setting or on a
network, it's a very bad idea.

Basically, simple file sharing prevents user access to file permissions.
Windows uses its own logic to permit/deny access to files (some of
them).

For example - windows by default does not let any users access other
users personal files. But it does let everyone access the "shared files"
folder. If you turn off simple file sharing, you can manually set file
permissions, use encryption, etc.

Note that I don't know a lot about this... the above is just from what
I've concluded by personal experience.

Drew