[windows2000] Moving computer object in AD after sysprep query

  • From: Anthony Abraham <AABRAHAM@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 08:28:44 +1100

Thanks Neil

Well at least I know it can be done via scripting.  We use RIS and sysprep
(using Ghost/sysprep to deploy as its much faster than RIS).  I found a way
to get it to work using the MachineObjectOU command in sysprep.inf.  Seems
to work OK.

Thanks for the reply.  I think I need to start reading up on ADSI though....

Anthony

Msg: #3 in digest
Subject: [windows2000] Re: Moving computer object in AD after sysprep query
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 14:38:18 -0000
From: "Braebaum, Neil" <Neil.Braebaum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I do something along these lines. I wrote a HTA that our PC builders /
deployers use after RISing a PC.

Here, a PC's OU location is relevant for application deployment, the
location field of the computer object is relevant for the user's login
script (points to an OU where the printers for that PC's physical
location live, so that the users get printer mappings based on physical
location of the PC, rather than group membership), and computer group
membership is also relevant to application deployment.

So I wrote a HTA that allows alternate, secured authentication to AD
(using elevated privileges, the account does not permit interactive
logins, though), it prompts for the credentials, and computer name,
populates drop-down select lists for the appropriate OU lists and group
lists (it get's this information dynamically from AD).

The usage of this, means that the PC builders can do all the PC
deployment tasks, including moving the PC object to the appropriate OU -
and this may change for rebuilds or redeployment. The point of this
being moving some of the trivial work from the more technical areas, to
the people merely doing the PC deployment.

I guess the thing about writing stuff like this, though, is that it's
pretty bespoke, and demands a reasonable amount of HTML / ADSI scripting
knowledge.

Neil
NOTICE
The information in this email and or any of the attachments may contain;
a. Confidential information of Credit Union Services Corporation (Australia)
Limited (CUSCAL) or third parties; and or
b. Legally privileged information of CUSCAL or third parties; and or
c. Copyright material of CUSCAL or third parties.
If you are not an authorised recipient of this email, please contact CUSCAL
immediately by return email or by telephone on 61-2-8299 9000 and delete the
email from your system.
We do not accept any liability in connection with computer virus, data
corruption, interruption or any damage generally as a result of transmission of
this email.