[windows2000] Re: GPO execution order

  • From: "Jim Kenzig ThinHelp.com" <jkenzig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 08:57:08 -0400

The icon is probably embedded in the bitmap section in the executable or a
dll of the MSI. You could use resource hacker to edit it out of the actual
executable or dll if you were diligent....

On 5/9/07, Sorin Srbu <sorin.srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Jim Kenzig ThinHelp.com <> wrote on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 2:03 PM:

I tried, didn't work. This particular msi is tweaked from the provider,
and
not following any standards, as standards go with msi-packages.

Both the msi and script in the GPO are at the machine level.

> Why don't you edit the MSI to remove the icon from there? Lots of free
> utilities out there that will let you edit MSI's.  The other question is
> whether the script is at the machine level in the policy or the user
level?
> It depends on where you put it. JK
>

> On 5/9/07, Sorin Srbu <sorin.srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>       Hi all,
>
>       Suppose I have a GPO that I deploy an msi-package with, and I also
have a
>       startup-script in the same GPO. Which of them gets run first? The
msi
or
>       the script?
>
>       Reason for this question is that I'd like to remove the
desktop-icon
the
>       msi creates. So far no tweaking of the msi has helped, so I revert
>       rather crude method of running a conditional test in the
startup-script to
>       test for if the programname.lnk exists in
>       %allusersprofile%\Desktop-folder. If it does, it deletes it
quietly.

>       Obviously, if the script is run before the msi, there won't be a
>       desktop-shortcut to remove and therefore the icon won't be removed
until
>       the next time the computer is rebooted. Thus the question of
execution
> order.
>
>       TIA.
>
>       --
>
>       BW,
>
>       Sorin
>
>       # Sorin Srbu, Systems Engineer  Web: http://www.orgfarm.uu.se
>       # Dept of Medicinal Chemistry,  Phone: +46 (0)18-4714482 >3
signals>
GSM
>       # Div of Org Pharm Chem,                Mobile: +46 (0)701-718023
>       # Box 574, Uppsala University,  Fax: +46 (0)18-4714482
>       # SE-751 23 Uppsala, Sweden     Visit: BMC, Husargatan 3, D5:512b
>       #
>       # ()  ASCII ribbon campaign - Against html E-mail
>       # /\
>       #
>       # Harmless tagline follows:
>       #
>       # "Share and enjoy!" -Sirius Cybernetics Corporation motto.

>       mode or view archives use the below link.
>
>       http://thethin.net/win2000list.cfm

Jim Kenzig
Microsoft MVP - Terminal Services
http://www.thinhelp.com