[windows2000] Re: GPO execution order

  • From: "Jim Kenzig ThinHelp.com" <jkenzig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 08:03:11 -0400

Why don't you edit the MSI to remove the icon from there? Lots of free
utilities out there that will let you edit MSI's.  The other question is
whether the script is at the machine level in the policy or the user level?
It depends on where you put it.
JK

On 5/9/07, Sorin Srbu <sorin.srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi all,

Suppose I have a GPO that I deploy an msi-package with, and I also have a
startup-script in the same GPO. Which of them gets run first? The msi or
the
script?

Reason for this question is that I'd like to remove the desktop-icon the
msi
creates. So far no tweaking of the msi has helped, so I revert to a rather
crude method of running a conditional test in the startup-script to test
for
if the programname.lnk exists in %allusersprofile%\Desktop-folder. If it
does,
it deletes it quietly.

Obviously, if the script is run before the msi, there won't be a
desktop-shortcut to remove and therefore the icon won't be removed until
the
next time the computer is rebooted. Thus the question of execution order.

TIA.

--

BW,

Sorin

# Sorin Srbu, Systems Engineer  Web: http://www.orgfarm.uu.se
# Dept of Medicinal Chemistry,  Phone: +46 (0)18-4714482 >3 signals> GSM
# Div of Org Pharm Chem,                Mobile: +46 (0)701-718023
# Box 574, Uppsala University,  Fax: +46 (0)18-4714482
# SE-751 23 Uppsala, Sweden     Visit: BMC, Husargatan 3, D5:512b
#
# ()  ASCII ribbon campaign - Against html E-mail
# /\
#
# Harmless tagline follows:
#
# "Share and enjoy!" -Sirius Cybernetics Corporation motto.

Jim Kenzig
Microsoft MVP - Terminal Services
http://www.thinhelp.com
Citrix Technology Professional