[windows2000] Re: BDC not backing up PDC

  • From: "Jensen, Douglas" <douglas.jensen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 09:07:08 -0600

I am assuming this is a Windows 2000 Domain.

The First Domain Controller installed is also the Global Catalog Server.

In order to log in to a domain, the Global Catalog Server needs to be
available.

You can make a second DC an additional Global Catalog Server.

I ran into this problem because we have 2 offices connected via a VPN.  Both
offices have Domain Controllers but when the VPN was down, no one from the
other office could log in.  Not a good thing.

I just made one of the DCs in the other office a Global Catalog Server.  For
me, 2 is enough because it is unlikely one of the GC will be unavailable at
the same time the VPN is down.
Douglas Jensen
Douglas.Jensen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Voice (952) 402-9821
Fax    (952) 402-9815
Network Administrator
Scott Carver Dakota CAP Agency, Inc.
712 Canterbury Road
Shakopee, MN 55379
www.capagency.org

Do a search on Global Catalog Server to find out how to make a second DC an
additional GC