Is There A Limit On Winamp Playlist Size?

  • From: "Ron Canazzi" <aa2vm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Winamp For The Blind" <winamp4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 10:53:57 -0400

Hi List,
Now here's one I bet you haven't heard of for a while if at all.  Recently, I
have been putting together large folders of 100 files or more.  I tried to make
a playlist in these folders in the way that has worked for me as far back as I
can remember.

1.  Using a folder/path utility such as copy Pat, copy the names of all the
files into clipboard;
2.  Paste the contents of the clipboard into a text editor and save the file
with an M3U extension;
3.  place the file into the folder with the 100 plus files;
4.  press enter on the M3U file and Presto! the files play in the order in
which they appear in the M3U file.

However, I can honestly say that I have never tried this in all my years of
doing so with large numbers of files.  Usually, the maximum is about 15 to 20.
I just tried this during the time I've been playing around with the 100 Plus
files and it works like a charm.  However, when I try this with 100 files or
more, 2 things happen--neither one good.

1.  Winamp launches, but is silent;
2.  after I close Winamp, a process called Winamp.exe still remains active and
nothing will play in Winamp until I manually end this process with Windows Task
manager.

So my question is: is there a limit to the size of playlists that Winamp can
handle?  If so, what is it?  Is it dependent on either the character size of
the playlist--or perhaps the size of the files in MB's on the storage medium?

Thanks in advance.

The Scourge Of Authoritarianism Is Intellectualism