[win2kforum] Re: Does ICS/Proxy reveal your internal MAC addresses to your ISP

  • From: "Jason Flatt" <jasonflatt@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <win2kforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 12:55:18 -0700

There is a TCP/IP protocol specifically for retrieving the MAC address of a
network device (I believe it is RARP). What I would like to know is how he
can tell based on the MAC what type of device it is, or that you are running
anything? He should not be able to tell from the MAC address that you are
running a proxy. The first 3 bytes are the manufacturer ID and the next
(last) 3 bytes are the device (not device type) ID. No two devices in the
world are originally given the same MAC address.

It is probably that you are using a software solution that leaves some sort
of signature. Check into a hardware solution which does NAT, like Linksys'
DSL/Cable Modem router. I believe that 3Com, Netopia and NetGear all make
similar devices. I believe they all also manufacture NICs, so that you could
say that you gat a new NIC in your PC, if asked.

Jason

PS: How much does it cost you if you aren't sharing over a network?