Re: wily in cygwin

  • From: Tommy Pettersson <ptp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wilyfans@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 11:52:58 +0200

On Wed, Jun 07, 2006 at 09:13:24PM -0700, Don McLane wrote:
> Is it supposed to display "$PWD" in the tag?  Seems like that's an
> expression that should be evaluated somehow.

It's the other way around actually. Paths can be long and easily
fill up the tag, so wily tries to shorten them. If some prefix
of the path is the value of any environment variable, such a
prefix is replaced with $<VARIABLENAME> in the tag, in the
shortest possible way.

I start wily from a wrapper script that, among other things,
sets some short variable names for my usual working dirs, _and_
unsets PWD, but the latter is much a matter of taste.

> If you have a file named "new" (lowercase n) and you middle-click "New"
> then it opens the file "new".  What are the odds that a new user, trying
> wily for the first time, had a file named "new"?  Well it happened!  It
> makes for a very confused newbie.

I think the type of file system is involved in this. It's case
insensitive in some backward compatible way with 8.3 names,
isn't it?

Anyway, the reason for opening an existing 'New' is that New
creates a buffer with that file name, and if you later Put it
you would (perhaps accidently) overwrite the existing file
'New'. The same thing will of course happen if you change the
name and Put, an existing file with that name is overwritten,
but then it's "your own fault".

I use a patch that makes wily perform safe Puts: if the file has
been (externally) modified since the last Put, or was never read
by wily, or disappeared, wily complains instead of saving the
file, unless you do a "force Put" (click in the file label and
B2B1 on Put). With this arrangement New could always open new
buffers since you would get a warning and be able to rename the
file before you Put it.

> Shouldn't I be able to right-click on "../" and open a window in the
> parent directory?

Just clicked it and got a window with the parent directory. :-)
I have no idea what's failing here.

> Anyway, thanks to the developers.  Wily promises to be a really
> productive environment.

A minute to learn, a lifetime to master... :-)

--
Tommy Pettersson <ptp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>