Re: wily 0.13.42

  • From: Tommy Pettersson <ptp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wilyfans@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 15:30:41 +0200

Gary Capell wrote:
> > What _might_ make sense is to mark a file as Read Only (or
> > something) when the utf parsing has made changes that will
> > be destructive when we write it back?

It is already made non-backupped, so the Put command doesn't
appear unless the label is changed.

On Thu, Apr 06, 2006 at 10:08:42PM -0400, ozan s yigit wrote:
> this is an interesting idea actually. better than silent
> conversion...

As of wily 0.9.42 any input that can't be represented in the
buffer is replaced with the "invalid" rune, so an easy way to do
this is to (verbosely) refuse to Put buffers that contains
invalid runes. Since the invalid rune can be manually inserted
with Alt-X 0000, this could be (ab)used to write protect
buffers, although it complicates the feature of saving guide
files with an invalid rune in them so they don't fill the change
box or leave backups.

--
Tommy Pettersson <ptp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>