[webproducers] Re: creating accessible websites and how it im pacts the project life cycle

  • From: "Brad B. McCormick" <mccormickb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'webproducers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <webproducers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 18:12:09 -0400

To Courtney's point....

While it is not required per se that all sites meet some kind of accessible
standard (508), one day it very well may be (overall, I think the web is
moving toward standarization much the same way newspapers adopted a
more-or-less 5 column standard bak in the day).

That said, in my experience, keeping accessibilty standards in mind helps
create a better website for all, period. Why? Because it forces the team to
consider the user experience from more perspectives, and forces them to
better artiucalte site goal, logic, etc.  Getting rid of uneccesary graphic
increase download time and site performance, which also adds to a better
user experience. Once more, by ensureing that the site can be view using
text readers or text magnifiers, you are also ensuring that your site can be
scanned by foreign-language translaters, thus increasing the potential
audience of your site.

The reason why I am aware of this stuff is because, like I said, we've
worked from some pretty large gov. agencies that required 508 standards. For
one site in particular, we had a rep. from the great Nielsen Norman Group
(http://www.nngroup.com/) come in and audit our site well before launch.
While we were pretty close to the standard, they gave us many valuable
insights, so much though that now Web Accessiblity is one of our core
offerings.

Anyhow, listen to Courtney: Web Accessibitly is the future!