[webproducers] Re: creating accessible websites and how it im pacts the project life cycle

  • From: kona bordango <filmchicka@xxxxxx>
  • To: webproducers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 8 May 2004 14:47:32 -0700 (PDT)

I agree that starting to think about accessibility now, will create less coding
heartache later.

Also, if we look to the open source kids for inspiration, we might well realize
that this could be a huge opportunity to create and implement a well-thought
out raising of usability standards; we could be creating a standard ourselves.

Let's use blindness as our disability standard to work on-
The visual of the web is not coming across, so let's use another sense; sound
would work.

Now I understand some people enjoy the fact that the web medium doesn't make a
lot of audible noises to make apparent a users movement and choices. But what
if there was an 'opt in for sound' standard eventually built into every
browser, which would cue a page to bring up its audio for the page? Like on a
television you can change the default language to Spanish; in this case we
would be changing the default sense (sight) to another sense (sound).

 This would be built into every browser *in the exact same place*, so it would
be easy to find by those who are blind. Perhaps the button would always be in
the top right corner; by scrolling over there a rollover button would trigger
audio to say "turn audio on" or somesuch. Then within every webpage you would
have the choice (except if you were federally funded as formerly stated in
the page- content audio would probably have to start right up upon load. I'm
just brainstorming right now.

But I do think that we have a great opportunity to start thinking of what would
make a good standard, and by taking a cue from open source developers, bat our
ideas around in online forums and come up with a proposal for browsers. (or
unveil at a convention, etc, etc)

-Sharon
Good to know, although unemployed, I can still churn out a thought or two ;)