[webproducers] What's in a name... Producer - Project Manager

  • From: Morry Galonoy <morry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: webproducers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 18:25:29 -0400

Ok so to get back on topic I thought it might be a good time to
address the differences between being a "producer" and a "project
manager".

This has come up a few times recently on the lis and I thought it
might be a good chance  to have an open discussion on the topic. While
some places have specific roles and responsibilities for those working
as a producer vs a project manager there doesn't seem to be any iron
clad definition or standard.  When I started this group people were
using both terms and we even did a survey at one point and producer
was the most preferred title.

Here's what we say on the website: "Web Producers Organization (WPO)
is a professional organization created to support producers and
project managers, of interactive and web-based media. Our titles are
varied and often ambiguous* but if you’re responsible for managing
interactive projects we’re you’re community. Our aim is to be your
connection to the industry and other professionals and help you get
your job done better, smarter, and more efficiently. (*producer,
interactive project manager, team lead, consultant, web manager)"

So let's have an open discussion about this with the understanding
that there is no set definition and that the role varies. That said it
would be interesting to see how you define producer vs. project
manager. What are the similarities and differences in your
organization if any?

Morry--=
Too much e-mail? Manage your subscription at at
http://webproducers.org/?page_id=9

Web Producers Job Board http://jobs.webproducers.org

Join us on LinkedIn http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=3877&trk=hb_side_g

Messages are archived in our publicly accessible web archive. Trim your posts
and delete personal information if you do not want them in the public web
archive.