[webproducers] Re: What's in a name... Producer - Project Manager

  • From: "L A Bradley, Jr." <labjlabj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: webproducers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 13:25:13 -0400

I agree with Chris Galvin 100%.
I am a Project Manager and have managed PMOs - a best friend of mine is a
Producer.

Although from company to company, of course, it may vary, in my experience
of interviewing myself for jobs and interviewing 100's of prospective hires
- Chris' fits with the way most companies define the roles.

Producers = hands on all the time or at least when needed. And they are
involved with both projects (with start and end) and on going maintenance.

Project Managers = manage the deliverables, communication and timetables of
any number of groups involved with a project that has start and end -
designers, content, info architects, programmers, QA, IT, the end-client and
all stakeholders.  And in my several roles, my PMO teams and I are hands-off
- would never (be allowed to (o; ) touch code or even upload content thru
CMS.

Many times the size of the shop/company/department drives this.

(I would throw in that Technical Project Managers more specifically manage
programmers and need a much stronger techical backgroud to be able to drive
decisions about quality and direction of code - although this is definitely
a job title where companies' definition is much more blurred between my
definitions above of PM vs TPM)

My $0.02 (where did the CENT key go?!?)

--

ã?¢ã?³ã??ã??ã?¼