[webproducers] Re: What's in a name... Producer - Project Manager

  • From: Justin Kim <jlkim@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: webproducers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 15:06:27 -0400

After working 14 years in interactive, I can count on one hand the
number Producers who have had any real technical ability.   At the
agencies I've worked at that have used the title, Producers have
mainly been project managers with varying amounts of account
management and strategy responsibilities.  This was certainly the
case at R/GA, the last place I worked at that had Producers.

I haven't worked as a pure PM or Producer for quite some time, having
switched over to a more technology centric role about six years ago.
Right now I work as a manger in the tech department of an agency, so
I interact frequently with PMs and Producer types.

Speaking from a techie standpoint,  even relatively tech savvy
Producers (and those are few and far between) don't really have the
background to act as technical managers or to do any of the work done
by the programmers, coders, script writers, or what have you unless
they've already come from a programming background.

Justin
--=
Too much e-mail? Manage your subscription at at
http://webproducers.org/?page_id=9

Web Producers Job Board http://jobs.webproducers.org

Join us on LinkedIn http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=3877&trk=hb_side_g

Messages are archived in our publicly accessible web archive. Trim your posts
and delete personal information if you do not want them in the public web
archive.