[webproducers] What do you call a group of [specific] Producers?

  • From: "Canice Lim" <canice.lim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <webproducers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 15:21:12 -0400

Hi there -

I am new to this group - been looking around in the archives going
through the discussions around Web & Technical Producers.

We are a pure play online retail company and I currently have business
analysts and project managers that report to me and I do want to make a
change in the title of their roles to XX Producer.

We use the Scrum process to manage and develop web commerce projects, so
therefore, we go through an iterative development process (UI, dev,
test) etc. every 2 weeks which has been working fantastically.  As such,
the need to have a traditional project manager in a team is not really
necessary (those of you who are familiar with Agile methods will
understand).  I am in the process of cross-training the project managers
and business analysts to do both and be effective at it.

This brings me to the reason that I am posting this - I'd like to change
the title of these roles to something Producer.  After going through the
archives, I still don't know what I should change the titles to:

- Producer
- Web Producer
- Technical Producer

Essentially, the role at a minimum would do/encompass the following:
1. Client-facing - internal and external. We have integrations with 3rd
party service providers (e.g. Paypal, Google, Chat etc.) as well as alot
of internal new product development.
2. Release planning with product owners (therefore, project management
skills required).
3. Business analysis - new featureset definition, impact analysis etc.
4. Limited revenue/budget responsibilities - not necessary within the
organization.
5. Work with resources external to the team (freelance UI designers,
graphic designers etc.) and coordinate dependencies.

I think that it is important for me to make this change (of course with
complete understanding from those who currently hold business analyst
and pm roles) because I believe that something Producer more accurately
represents their job scope and also reflects that we work in the
ecommerce industry.  Since I am also intending to hire in the next 6
months, I'd like to stabilize these before opening up positions.

In addition to all of this, I also need to rename the group - any
insights from anyone would be appreciated!

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,
Canice

Be sure to trim your posts and delete personal information (e.g. address and
telephone numbers) if
you do not want them in the public web archive.

webproducers-
request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  (and be sure to reply to the confirmation e-mail)

Manage your subscripton (digest, vacation mode, unsubscribe) at
http://webproducers.org/join.html