[webproducers] Re: Person/Task Hours/Project Tracking Software

  • From: Andrew G.Milmoe <andrew@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: webproducers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 10:41:03 -0400

> Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2002 16:50:14 -0700 (PDT)
> From: "No. 6" <outdoorminer2002@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [webproducers] Re: Person/Task Hours/Project Tracking Software
>
> What platform? On the Mac, there's a program called TimeSlice
> that does a lot of what you're looking for. It's for tracking
> time spent on projects.
Yes, we are on Macs... I'll take a look at TimeSlice. I'm hoping for
just a simple little applet. I'm tempted to write one.

> All the fancy organization time tracking software will never make up
> for sloppy people. I've been amazed to see people beg more for
> expensive solutions that are ignored after three months, while more low
> key types track their hours in a simple MS Word document.
>
> I've also seen people who know how to use every silly feature in MS
> Project yet don't have a clue about the concept "Critical Path". My
> other favorite gripe is with people who us MS Project to keep slipping
> the schedule - or aren't honest about their time (i.e. most people work
> on several projects at once and take breaks).
>
> Another strange observation: Most of the organized people that I've met
> don't use sophisticated or special organization programs. In fact I
> know on PM type who wrote all his notes on paper and made sure they
> were all in folders that could be pulled out in a minute.
>
> Michael
Awe c'mon don't burst my bubble. Technological solutions are supposed
to deliver us from all the evils of things like responsibility and
organization...

I guess the real challenge I'm facing here is changing the culture of
the company from a one man show to a small business. Things are run
pretty lean and I'm trying to keep better records (like time sheets and
expense reports) without too much additional overhead. I'm avoiding
using MS Project so that I don't have to devote half my life to project
management. (And so we don't have to buy and support a PC... yech!)

I guess at the end of the day I'll just have to enforce completion of
time sheets, be they digital or paper and pen...

Thanks for your feedback,
-Andrew

Questions and comments are welcome just e-mail me, morry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx