[wdmaudiodev] Re: MediaPlayer improves USB DPC timing

  • From: RonKuper@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: bart@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 08:58:31 -0400

We don't have "completion routines" in SONAR, being all in user mode, but we
do have a time critical mix thread that blocks waiting on I/O completion.  I
suspect it piggy-backs on some of the same mechanisms.

The times that I've seen this behavior has been cases of priority inversion
among threads; or excessive kernel mode activity in other drivers.  For
example, when using KS with very low latencies, if we (or some plugin)
hammers graphics hard enough, we can see the timing jitter in the I/O
completion signals.

I assume your normal test bed is WaveLab.  Have you verified that this
change with Media Player occurs when you are hosted in other apps, such as
Sound Forge or SONAR?  In SONAR I'd be particularly curious to see how this
behaves using DirectKS instead of MME.