[wdmaudiodev] Re: MediaPlayer improves USB DPC timing

  • From: "Martin Puryear" <martinp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bart@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "WDM list" <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 01:42:31 -0700

Hi Bart,

I should let the list field this one, but it seems to have anticompetitive
undertones so I can't help myself.

As far as I know there is NOTHING in Windows Media Player that uses anything
other than fully documented OS services.  This should not be at all surprising
since WMP is legally considered middleware by U.S. District Court.  There's no
leeway here.

It's actually a little funny to hear you suggest a cozy relationship between
the WMP team and the kernel audio team.  It isn't like that.  If anything, it
more resembles stories I've heard a few years back of the "relationship"
between Apple's sound drivers/Sound Manager teams and their QuickTime team.  As
always, we infrastructure people fight for the respect we deserve - we are more
than just plumbers, just as upper-layer folks provide more than just UI fluff.
I suspect it is the same story as driver writers vis-à-vis application writers.

Back to the topic.  I suspect, if anything, WMP uses the venerable Time APIs to
turn up the timer resolution; I don't know for sure.  Maybe it isn't WMP at
all, though - have you tried RealPlayer or MusicMatch, or even MPlay32?  There
is code in the WDM audio stack that tries to make the system work better for
all multimedia apps.  It's probably that, as opposed to anything from a
user-mode client like WMP.

Cheers,
Martin Puryear
Development Manager
Microsoft Windows Audio/Video Devices Group

(especially my QT stories from days gone by!).
Ce message est fourni en l'état, sans garantie d'aucune sorte, et ne vous
confère aucun droit (particulièrement mes vielles histoires de QT!). Vous
assumez tous les risques liés à son utilisation.