[WADNet Post] May 8, 2006: Gallaudet University News

  • From: WADNet Post Editor <wadneteditor@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wadnetpost@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 May 2006 01:03:35 -0500

Gallaudet University News
-- Notes from Gallaudet Students and Staff
Editor's note: All of the following submissions were contributed by Gary Fitts, GUAA-Wisconsin Chapter except where otherwise noted.

It is important to remember that these were submitted during the last week while the protest was going on; the most recent submission, dated May 8th, is at the bottom of this post. Please read through to the bottom.

******

Notes from Gallaudet Students and Staff

Note from Nephew of Gary Fitts, GUAA Wisconsin Chapter member:
Hello!

I attended the rally and I would think it is very successful because a lot of people came including King, Fernandes, and NAD rep. At the end King and Fernandes each recieved a letter from the student body which demanded two things - do the Prez search all over again and no reprisals. I think King will hand his letter to BOT. There will be special activities tonight at the front gate like selling foods and drinks and play games and candle light vigil. Me?? I am ready to go to bed 'cause I'm tired.

David

******

Subject: Unity for Gallaudet

Hello Gallaudetians-

We have brainstormed and created a long list of activites to keep everyone busy and spirited throughout the protest.

Our first request for all students, including graduate students and as well the faculty and staff if they wish, to wear buff and blue colors tomorrow.

Wear anything that's yellow and blue! Look out for further information or just drop by at the front gate near the DPS kiosk. If any students are interested in helping out or get very involved, please page us, findjct@xxxxxxxxx and weg@xxxxxxxxxx

Thanks and let us all unify for Gallaudet!

Sponsored by SBG

Bleed Buff and Blue,
Jesse Thomas
Megan Malzkuhn

******

Note from the Gallaudet University Public Relations Visitors' Center:

Signature: Gallaudet University - Public Relations/Visitors Center

There are many rumors floating and flying around campus these days. PR intends to provide the community with facts to counter the misinformation and falsehoods. The hope is that when thinking people are presented with the facts they will make decisions that are fair and informed.

FACT #1: Dr. Jordan was NEVER involved in the Presidential Search Process. His interviews of the three finalists were at the very end of the process. A sitting president is often asked to interview presidential finalists. His or her [the sitting president's] feedback is an important part of the overall information used by a Board of Trustees to make their decisions.

FACT #2: Dr. Fernandes has NO INTENTION of punishing staff members for their involvement in the current protest.

******

Announcement from President I. King Jordan:

May 4, 2006

MEMORANDUM
TO:      Campus Community
FR:       I. King Jordan
RE:       The Gallaudet University Campus IS NOT locked-down

A flyer was distributed on campus today stating that the campus was under lock-down today. This is absolutely incorrect. It is the obligation of the administration to ensure the free movement of faculty, students and staff about campus, as well as on and off campus. Any disruption of normal campus business will not be tolerated. Anyone who attempts to disrupt campus business will be subject to legal action.

Also, Celia May Baldwin, Chair of the Board of Trustees, has agreed to meet with students, faculty, staff and alumni leaders via VP this evening. She and they will discuss the issues concerning each of those groups. Ms. Baldwin will send a summary of those conversations out to the campus community tomorrow.

******

For more information regarding the protest mentioned above, check the Gallaudet University website at http://www.gallaudet.edu/ and also the Gallaudet University Alumni website: http://alumni.gallaudet.edu/

******

May 8: New Gallaudet President Draws Protests

New Gallaudet president draws protests (taken from Associated Press)

WASHINGTON - The newly chosen president for the nation's only liberal arts college for the deaf has drawn protests from hundreds of students, who set up a tent city on the lawn by the front gates and blocked entrances.

Last week, Jane K. Fernandes was named to succeed I. King Jordan as president of Gallaudet University. She insists opposition to her appointment stems from a cultural debate, but the protesters, who have refused to go home after their final exams, say the search process was unfair.

Faculty planned to meet Monday to consider a no-confidence vote against Fernandes.

"We all know this is wrong," professor E. Lynn Jacobowitz said. "There might be a few who disagree ... but 99.9 percent of the people here support this protest."

Fernandes was born deaf but attended mainstream schools and did not learn American Sign Language as a child. Her opponents believe Jordan, who became the university's first deaf president in 1988 after the Board of Trustees gave in to a large student protest movement, influenced the search process in favor of his hand-picked successor.

The demonstrators want the board to reopen the process and consider a diverse field of candidates. All the three finalists were white.

They are also seeking intervention from Congress, which includes three voting trustees: Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., and Reps. Roy LaHood, R-Ill., and Lynn Woolsey, D-Calif. Organizers said they have written letters to every member of Congress and plan to lobby in person this week.

Jordan said the board's choice for president is "not the winner of the popularity contest" and that this movement should not be compared to the one that swept him into office. If the board gives in, he said, it would be dangerous for the future governance of the school.

ON THE NET
Gallaudet University: http://www.gallaudet.edu/
Unity For Gallaudet: http://www.gallyfssa.org/

******

GALLAUDET UNIVERSITY
Faculty Prepare to Take Sides on New President
By Susan Kinzie
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, May 8, 2006; Page B04

The campus was supposed to have emptied out by now, with exams over at Gallaudet University.

But the lawn by the front gates is still packed with tents as students continue to camp out, protesting the selection of the new president. Some alumni have come from elsewhere in the country -- including leaders of the 1988 protests that forced the Board of Trustees to choose a deaf president and created a civil-rights rallying cry for the deaf. They have joined a coalition of students, staff, faculty and other alumni wearing blue "Unity for Gallaudet" T-shirts and
demanding that the search process be reopened.

Today, the faculty will meet to consider no-confidence motions on president-elect Jane K. Fernandes, on the Board of Trustees that chose her and on the search process that some say lacked diversity and fairness.

"We all know this is wrong," professor E. Lynn Jacobowitz said. "There might be a few who disagree . . . but 99.9 percent of the people here support this protest."

Fernandes has said that the outcry is about something much bigger than just her; it's about cultural conflicts, she said, with some people wanting the president of Gallaudet to define the identity of the deaf community.

It is an emotional issue as more people get cochlear implants, which allow them to hear and speak more easily, and go to mainstream public schools rather than schools for the deaf and hard of hearing. Some wonder what will happen to deaf culture, and to Gallaudet.

On Friday, nine professors with backgrounds similar to Fernandes's -- they grew up speaking, went to public schools and didn't learn American Sign Language or immerse themselves in the deaf community until later in life -- wrote her an open letter saying she had misunderstood the reasons for the opposition. The real issues, they wrote, are about a flawed search process and ineffective leadership.

I. King Jordan, the longtime president who plans to work with Fernandes for the next eight months and then step down, said recently that the board selected an academician with vision for the future of the university, "not the winner of the popularity contest." The board can't give the decision over to protesters, he said, without long-term implications for the governance of the school. It's not, he said, another "Deaf President Now," the movement that vaulted him into the presidency.

Jane Norman, a professor who was one of Fernandes's references, sent a widely distributed e-mail saying that protesters were pressuring others to join them. "We are going through a very difficult time but we will emerge as an inclusive university," she wrote. "Gallaudet is for all. Dr. Jane Fernandes has worked long and hard on diversity. Dr. Fernandes is our 9th president and will lead us into the 21st century."

After protesters shut down all entrances to the campus one day last week, two trustees agreed to come to campus to talk with them Friday evening. Hundreds waited outside, including a dog wearing a "Pet me to reopen the search process" T-shirt, wagging its tail in the crowd.

The 750-seat auditorium was full to overflowing, mostly with students, and the crowd soon turned angry as people stood on stage to sign questions to board members Celia May L. Baldwin, interim chairman, and Tom Humphries, who emphasized that they have heard the concerns but that the board will not change its decision.

"I beg of you," Baldwin signed, "to put your trust in us. Give us a chance. Give us an opportunity to prove to you that the selection was accurate."

People in the audience shouted "No!" over and over, waving arms in the air and signing. The meeting ended with people walking out, just as they had when Fernandes's appointment was announced last Monday.

Many students went home for the summer, but protests and meetings continued over the weekend, and people began sending letters to members of Congress asking for intervention. Three trustees serve in Congress.

Several faculty members said they had been told in meetings by administrators to support Fernandes and to try to calm the dissent, suggestions that offended some as heavy-handed and oppressive.

Some have long-standing concerns about academic and recruitment issues. The math department passed a resolution last week asking the board to choose a president who will enhance academic standards at Gallaudet.

Some faculty are worried about the way Fernandes was initially appointed to the provost position -- which sparked no-confidence resolutions from the faculty in 2000 -- and granted tenure, questioning whether official procedures were followed.

And everyone is hoping for a resolution soon.

"This whole situation is a tragedy," professor Marshall Wick said in an e-mail to The Washington Post, "and will become worse if the Board gives in."

******

Check this links.... there's protest going on at Gallaudet University...

www.ridorlive.com www.xanga.com/elisa_abenchuchan www.joeybaer.com www.gallyfssa.org

   (Contributed by SLAD Club)

******

Leslie Riggs WADNet Post Editor & Listserv Administrator Wisconsin Association of the Deaf -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

TO SUBSCRIBE to the WADNet Post, please email to
wadnetpost-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe' in the Subject field.

IF YOU ARE CHANGING EMAIL ADDRESSES, PLEASE FOLLOW THESE TWO STEPS:

Then

2) SUBSCRIBE to the WADNet Post by sending an email from your NEW email address
to wadnetpost-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe' in the Subject field.

TO SUBMIT ARTICLES for WADNet Posts, send an email with the information to
wadneteditor@xxxxxxxxxxx by 7pm CST Sunday night.  WADNet Posts generally go
out on Monday and/or Tuesday evenings each week.  Special Postings will be made
when there is an urgent need and on a case-by-case basis.  Please contact the
WADNet Post Editor if you have any questions.

TO UNSUBSCRIBE from the WADNet Post, send an email to
wadnetpost-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the Subject field.

Please visit our website at http://www.wi-deaf.org for the latest information
and events.  Also, please visit our website at http://www.wi-deaf.org if you
wish to become a member of WAD.