[WADNet Post] May 3, 2006: Special Posting: GUAA News

  • From: WADNet Post Editor <wadneteditor@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wadnetpost@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 13:57:09 -0500

Gallaudet University Alumni Association News
  --  New Gallaudet President: One GUAA Member's View
New Gallaudet President: One GUAA Member's View

Yesterday, Gallaudet University announced a new President, Jane Fernandes.

However there is opposition on campus. I have no comments at this time, but I think I will not support the new President until everything is settled down and I have all the information to make a judgment.

Students and staff are now meeting and planning a protest. The entrance gates are now closed. My deaf nephew, David Arnold, is keeping me posted. He is glad to graduate this year with I. King Jordan's signature on his degree.

My nephew does not support the Board of Trustees selection. I haven't heard any official reaction from the National Association of the Deaf or the Gallaudet University Alumni Association yet. I myself felt that a Cultural Deaf will be selected, but it didn't happen.

I haven't heard any comments from DPN leaders. I don't know what's the viewpoint of the Deaf Community in Wisconsin, but I am assuming it is mixed. During DPN we were united with one voice. Are we divided this time around?

I need time to sort it out. This situation is unpredictable, let's see what happens in the next several days, how events unfold. It can go either way.

There will never be another President like Abraham Lincoln. The same could be true of I. King Jordan: there may never be another Gallaudet President like him.

  (Contributed by: Gary Fitts, GUAA-Wisconsin Chapter)

Then

2) SUBSCRIBE to the WADNet Post by sending an email from your NEW email address
to wadnetpost-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe' in the Subject field.

TO SUBMIT ARTICLES for WADNet Posts, send an email with the information to
wadneteditor@xxxxxxxxxxx by 7pm CST Sunday night.  WADNet Posts generally go
out on Monday and/or Tuesday evenings each week.  Special Postings will be made
when there is an urgent need and on a case-by-case basis.  Please contact the
WADNet Post Editor if you have any questions.

TO UNSUBSCRIBE from the WADNet Post, send an email to
wadnetpost-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the Subject field.

Please visit our website at http://www.wi-deaf.org for the latest information
and events.  Also, please visit our website at http://www.wi-deaf.org if you
wish to become a member of WAD.