[visionrehabtherapist] making scanned PDF accessible as text document

  • From: "McCall, Roberta (DELEG)" <mccallr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'visionrehabtherapist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <visionrehabtherapist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 20:08:17 -0500

I received these instructions recently from a librarian who was helping with
PDF documents.

(quote)"To test if a document is scanned and not possible to read using JAWS,
try the "find" option to search for a word that is definitely in the document.
If the "find" cannot locate the word, it is a scanned rather than a untagged
PDF file.

I open the document using Adobe Acrobat Professional 9. Then I select Document,
then OCR Text Recognition, then I select Recognize Text Using OCR and I choose
All pages.  The program runs through each page.

Hope this is useful."(end quote)

I do not know if Adobe Acrobat Pro 9 is useable with JAWS or not.

Roberta McCall, CVRT
mccallr@xxxxxxxxxxxx