[visionrehabtherapist] Re: Making Pancakes

  • From: "Lachelle Smith" <lasmith@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Maduffy@xxxxxxx>,<visionrehabtherapist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 19:28:11 -0400

Hi Maureen:

What a pleasure it is to collaborate with you in this manner again.  As my
former Director and instructor in the VRT program at Salus, it is so fitting
that you would ask these questions before rendering any suggestions or advice.

My client has experience making pancakes prior to her vision loss.  She
continues to prepare a variety of food items in many different preparation
styles.

I have to apologize for the lack of clarity in the manner in which I asked my
question.  I was looking for suggestions on "how to flip" the pancake without
making a mess.  My client and I have discussed the basic method for preparing
the pancake and determining when it is ready to flip.  I just wanted a variety
of choices or techniques to offer her on how to successfully "flip the pancake"
without making a mess (because this is an area where my client expressed some
uncertainty).

I actually worked with my client this afternoon on this very skill and was
pleasantly surprised how well it went.  We initially practiced the skill of
flipping in a cold pan with a piece of bread so that she could get a feel for
the weight of  food on the spatula; as well as the spatial awareness of the
area in which to flip the pancake.  She seemed very confident and assure of
herself.  She later expressed to me that she felt confident because we went
over the skill prior to actually performing it on the stove.  She reflected how
she previously performed the skill sighted to how she currently had to do it
without sight.  She remarked that the main difference between the two
preparation types (sighted vs. blind) was that she needed to be sure to make
contact with the pan before releasing the batter and flipping the pancake.

Like I said, it was truly an enjoyable lesson today and I thank you Maureen for
the manner in which you taught me how to assess an instructional task.  It has
really proven to be crucial in the success of any given learning and
instructional experience.

Many thanks,
Lachelle

Lachelle E. Smith, M.S., CVRT
Coordinator of the Vision Rehabilitation Therapist Program
Salus University
College of Education and Rehabilitation
8360 Old York Road
Elkins Park, PA 19027-1598
(215) 780-1448 (office)
(215) 780-1357 (fax)
Lasmith@xxxxxxxxx

>>> <Maduffy@xxxxxxx> 10/28/10 1:35 PM >>>
Hi Lachelle:

I have a few questions before I can offer suggestions:

Does your client need adaptations for flipping the pancake?

Or does your client want to learn how to determine sufficient  "doneness"
before flipping it?

Or does your client need to learn both of these adaptations?

Has your client prepared pancakes previously?

Does your client have other, basic requisite food preparation skills?

Thanks!
Maureen

Maureen A.  Duffy, CVRT
Editorial Director
AWARE (Associates for World Action in  Rehabilitation & Education)
Phone: 914-528-5120
E-mail:  maureen.duffy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Are you aware of our web site?
_www.visionaware.org_ (http://www.visionaware.org/)
"Self-Help for  Vision Loss"
_www.twitter.com/visionaware_ (http://www.twitter.com/visionaware)
_www.facebook.com/visionaware_ (http://www.facebook.com/visionaware)
_www.visionaware.blogspot.com_ (http://www.visionaware.blogspot.com/)

In a message dated 10/28/2010 11:02:34 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
lasmith@xxxxxxxxx writes:

Hello  Everyone:

I hope this note finds all of you well.  I am in the  process of teaching a
client food preparation skills and she has requested  instruction on
preparing pancakes.  Does anyone have any tips for turning  the pancake
successfully without making a mess?  Any assistance one could  provide would be
most
appreciated.

All the best,

_Lasmith@xxxxxxxxxx (mailto:Lasmith@xxxxxxxxx)