[visionrehabtherapist] Re: Fw: Re: A Message from AFB regarding JVIB

  • From: "Christie Peel" <peels@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <mcinnisj@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <guidinggolden@xxxxxxxxx>, <visionrehabtherapist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 22:22:55 -0400

I have to agree with Janet. Although I am not happy that AER will no longer be providing JVIB as a membership benefit, I also plan to continue my membership and try to approach this from the angle of "what can I give to AER."

As a field we are facing many multi-faceted issues. We have a personnel shortage, a shortage of training programs, a need in the field, a desire to maintain quality, occupational therapist stepping into our jobs, etc. I worry that if we do not find a way to address some of these issues that the field of VRT will become extinct. So how do we address these issues? I believe we address them through involvement in the field and through as many creative ideas as possible.

I am an individual who is certified in VRT and O&M. In general, O&M as a profession is better established than VRT and does not face the number of issues that we face. In my opinion this is due to the fact that overall O&Mers publish more, present more, are more vocal then us, and are more involved in AER, etc. As VRTs I know that all of us are extremely busy and finding time to actively participate, outside of our job, is incredibly difficult. I really do believe though that it is vital to our survival that we do participate.

Local and national AER boards and committees are always looking for VRT involvement. As a field we need to be joining these boards and committees. I do recognize though that joining an AER board or committee is not always possible for a verity of reasons. There are numerous other ways that we can participate though. We/VRT, as a field, have a wealth of knowledge that we do not share enough with each other. Presenting at conferences and sharing with each other all the great things we do is another way to participate. Also, with all that has occurred in the last few months with the proposed (now rescinded) ACVREP certification changes, the foundation has been laid for our input into the issues that we face. Maureen Duffy and Barbara Hunt, both ACVREP Board members, have been openly seeking, on this Listserv and via numerous other avenues our thoughts on certification standards, VRT assistants, and how to address personnel shortages, etc. AER VRT Division is also requesting our input into these matters. I truly do believe that they want to hear from all of us - regardless of what our individual stances on these issues are. Our AER leadership want to represent us as a profession and the only way they can do this is if we share our thoughts and our opinion with them in a solution oriented prospective.

OK. I have rambled on WAY MORE than I intended. I didn't mean to get on a soapbox. For the record I need to say that I have been as guilty as the next person and have not always actively participated in this field as much as I should have/could have. The bottom line for me though, is that I believe in the VRT profession and want us to survive! I plan to continue to be a member of AER and as often as I can, and there will be times that I will just have to say, "No, I can't," I will try to be an active member of the VRT profession and be a part of helping change what I believe isn't working and supporting what is working.

To end this on a positive note, I need to share what Jim Warnke, the footnote speaker last week at the Penn-Del AER conference said. He said two specific things that I think fit our issues beautifully. He said, "As vision professional we focus on solutions and not on being overwhelmed by the problems" and "We do not have to have all the solutions. We just have to believe that there is a solution and that we can find it." I believe that together we can find solutions to the issues that our profession currently face.

Thanks for reading my rant.

Regards to all,

Christie Peel, CVRT, COMS

----- Original Message ----- From: "McInnis, Janet (DELEG)" <mcinnisj@xxxxxxxxxxxx>