[visionrehabtherapist] Re: Fw: Re: A Message from AFB regarding JVIB

  • From: "McInnis, Janet (DELEG)" <mcinnisj@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <guidinggolden@xxxxxxxxx>, <visionrehabtherapist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 09:36:19 -0400

with regard to AER and JVIB and comments.  Here are my thoughts as I consider
renewing membership.
Maybe looking at it from the stand point of "what is in it for me?" is not the
way to approach my decision.  Maybe I should look at it as "what can I give to
it?"  Maybe, a "pay it forward" concept is something I can look consider.

I went to my state's AER conference last week, and returned home with mixed
emotions.  I have masters in VRT and O&M.  The field of VRT needs a makeover or
an attitiude change or an energy drink to make it cool again.  (In my opinion.
MY OPINION)  We have lost some of the greatest and coolest and wonderfullest of
mentors to retirements and budget cuts and natural causes.   Occupational
therapists simply do not have the training or knowledge to take the place of
our profession.

I digress.  Back to the "what is in it for me?"  I don't think this is the
right attitude, and I admit, it is one I have likely been party to, that, and
apathy.  I need to think some more on this, but, maybe it is just the prozac
talking, but, I am thinking that continuing to support AER, warts and all, with
an additional fee for the papered version of JVIB is what I will do.

However,  I think I would like a people magazine, or a gossip tabloid of AER
members, with various paparazzi pics and posts, a couple of times a year to
keep us all in touch.  We are a touchy feely group, as much as I hate to say
that, and perhaps we need something more practical and friendly and amusing in
addition to the research journal?

Oh. look at the time.  I have been at work for two hours and have not gotten
much done.  Enjoy the weekend, and if, like me, you are in the process of
renewing or not renewing, look at the opportunity for giving back, just for a
year, and see if in the end, you actually feel like you have, indeed, found
that there was something in this for you afterall.

I am so annoying.  My kids are right on target.
Janet M

Administrator e-mail: dietz1112@xxxxxxxxx