[visionrehabtherapist] Re: Fw: Re: A Message from AFB regarding JVIB

  • From: Patty Arnold- Rutkoff <parnold@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: mcinnisj@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 06:58:23 -0700

Good point Janet. I have been on boards for AER in the past(not presently) and have been a part of helping to change what wasn't working, and recognizing and appreciating what was working. It is possible to do that even if you are not on any kind of board, but a member. Sometimes our state chapter happened to have board members that were almost all professionals working with kids, so they needed my and other adult service providers input, so I made sure I was available to suggests speakers, or to present myself, etc., even when I was not in a leadership position. Hopefully some who feel they are not getting what they want or need will consider doing that too.

Patty Arnold, CVRT

On Apr 30, 2009, at 6:36 AM, McInnis, Janet (DELEG) wrote:

with regard to AER and JVIB and comments. Here are my thoughts as I consider renewing membership. Maybe looking at it from the stand point of "what is in it for me?" is not the way to approach my decision. Maybe I should look at it as "what can I give to it?" Maybe, a "pay it forward" concept is something I can look consider.

I went to my state's AER conference last week, and returned home with mixed emotions. I have masters in VRT and O&M. The field of VRT needs a makeover or an attitiude change or an energy drink to make it cool again. (In my opinion. MY OPINION) We have lost some of the greatest and coolest and wonderfullest of mentors to retirements and budget cuts and natural causes. Occupational therapists simply do not have the training or knowledge to take the place of our profession.

I digress. Back to the "what is in it for me?" I don't think this is the right attitude, and I admit, it is one I have likely been party to, that, and apathy. I need to think some more on this, but, maybe it is just the prozac talking, but, I am thinking that continuing to support AER, warts and all, with an additional fee for the papered version of JVIB is what I will do.

However, I think I would like a people magazine, or a gossip tabloid of AER members, with various paparazzi pics and posts, a couple of times a year to keep us all in touch. We are a touchy feely group, as much as I hate to say that, and perhaps we need something more practical and friendly and amusing in addition to the research journal?

Oh. look at the time. I have been at work for two hours and have not gotten much done. Enjoy the weekend, and if, like me, you are in the process of renewing or not renewing, look at the opportunity for giving back, just for a year, and see if in the end, you actually feel like you have, indeed, found that there was something in this for you afterall.

I am so annoying.  My kids are right on target.
Janet M

Administrator e-mail: dietz1112@xxxxxxxxx

Administrator e-mail: dietz1112@xxxxxxxxx