[visionrehabtherapist] Re: Adjustment To Blindness Question

  • From: Marilee <marilee@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: susanmarie9@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2013 15:37:29 -0400

Susan, adjustment to blindness happens at different rates for different people.
I definitely have clients who are not ready for some, if not all, services
because they are just not there in their brain. I have RP and lost vision
gradually in steps. Each step was another adjustment. The adjustment experience
depends on many factors: Was the vision loss gradual or or sudden? What
personality type is the person experiencing the vision loss? Does the person
have good support with family and friends? Your question is a good one, but
also deep and many layered. I could tell you my story, but it is too long for
an email. Maybe one day we will meet at a conference and can have tea together
or something. Smile.

Marilee Kenlon, CVRT
Department for the Blind and Vision Impaired
11150 Fairfax Blvd., Suite 502
Fairfax, VA 22030
703-359-1103
marilee.kenlon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx