[vip_students] Re: Free Inquiries With o2

  • From: "Flor Lynch" <florlync@xxxxxx>
  • To: <vip_students@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 14:31:06 +0100

Eleanor,

While the main directory enquiries service is not free, the 'special enquiries service', which one would ask for after having got through to an operator on 196, in most cases is. You will then be asked for your name and your PIN number which you will have been assigned.

Now, here is up-to-date info which was circulated to the irelandvipnews list on 7 July, by mark magennis, NCBI Centre for Inclusive Technology

Many of you will be familiar with the 'Special Directory Service' provided by eircom on 196. Some of you will have experienced difficulties in the past when switching to other service providers. The service is free to anyone registered or registrable with NCBI. Previously, it was only available from fixed line phones, not mobiles, and people not with eircom either had no access or had to pay for the service. This has now changed.

The free directory service can be accessed by dialling 196 from any fixed line or mobile phone (you'll need to register and get a PIN number). Customers of service providers other than eircom can also access the service through the 196 number, most for free.

These other companies are under no obligation to provide this service for free, since they have to pay a wholesale charge to eircom. But after repeated lobbying by NCBI within the ComReg forum on services for people with disabilities, many now do provide free access for their customers. The Ask ComReg website contains a list of all those that provide the connection for free. Go to http://www.askcomreg.ie/news/operators_offering_a_special_directory_enquiry_service.7.1010.LE.asp .

In order to avail of this service, an individual must first register by filling in an application form. These forms are available from NCBI on 1850 33 43 53 or from the eircom Help Desk on 1800 574 574.

From: "tony sweeney" <deirton711@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 24/07/2010 2:26 am

Hi Folk,

I wonder if anyone of you tried the 196 number using o2from your mobile?

Can't access it from my main mobile lately.

Contactting o2, no problem fromm there end.

Cheers,