(VICT) Thane Turns 1!

  • From: "Karyn and Thane" <bcpaws4me@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Vi-clicker" <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 16:49:23 -0800

My baby boy is growing up very fast! Since Thane has been in my life, I have
watched this slender rambunctuous puppy develop into a beautiful dog. He no
longer looks or feels like a puppy- he is filling out and learning how to
take on the world.
I am mindful today of the fact that Thane never would have been possible if
it were not for that final act Met gave to me, showing me it was time to go.
When it happened and even still in moments- I was devastated. My ears, eyes,
hands and feet died when he did
but today as I finished up my first attempt at a harness for Thane, I was
truly mindful of the wonderful gift I was given through Thane. It snowed
last night so we were pretty much stuck indoors today- but with new toys
Thane did fine. It is so fun to play with him but I gotta say that sometimes
I just get beyond pooped. He plays ball as if he is the goalie protecting
the net. It's rather funny.
I got him a wonderful tug at Sitstay.com with the hopes it would help us
work on tugging that could later be transferred to skills such as closing
the door, opening the fridge, helping me undress but Thane has no idea how
to tug! Oh fun! Another Met I see. Met had a friend's service dog to show
him how that was done. We won't have that this time around so I am going to
have to learn how to teach him to tug... Smile
He is really ball obsessed so I was thinking of trying to find something
with a ball on the end that hopefully does not include rubber also since I
can not handle that.
Thane's LLW leaves much to be desired but I keep reminding myself *baby
steps* He does so well with finding normal curb cuts (not driveways yet)
Sometimes we have to use driveways to get up and down off of sidewalks. One
thing I like about Thane is he does not try and walk me down the middle of
the road. He is at about a 90% success rate on finding curbs though. The
only misses are under distractions. For a dog who has only been training for
2 1/2 months I feel really confident about him.
I have not had any other bark situations occur or any signs of unease by him
so I am just not gonna worry about that incident unless it begins happening
again. If anything Thane loves people to a fault. It will be a lot of work
to keep him from becoming distracted by people but I am up for the job- or
at least I think I am.
He is alerting me to the door now when he hears the vibrator. I set the d-b
pager on a surface that it makes a noise for him and he responds to it
everytime.
We had a wonderful day today playing with Wiggly Giggly though- everydog
should have a Wiggly Giggly! Unlike Met, Thane is not amused by snow! LOL

Karyn and Thane