(VICT) Re: ew member, introduction

  • From: Jill Gross <jgross@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 23:30:19 -0500 (EST)

Hi Sandy,
Your day job does indeed sound nefarious. LOL Sounds quite interesting
too.

Ann sent me your basic lessons. They are fantastic and exactly what I was
after. Disspite all of the reading I've been doing, I hadn't found any
"how-to start" material related to dogs. I am more confident now.

I do need some clarification though. Am I right that I can use treats to
elicit the behavior I want? For example, when I teach my youngsters to
sit, I hold a treat just above their nose and move it back slightly. The
pups natural response is to put their butt down on the ground. Can I do
this to get her to sit, then click and relinguish the treat at that
point? I would like to teach my girl to keep her head up and face
forward when I stack her. Should I show her the treat as if I am baiting
her and then c/t to reenforce the behavior? I suppose I would then extend
the time before clicking and treating to show her that she needs to hold
the posision. I apologize for these very novice quesitons, but I want to
be sure that I am on the right track.

So far, my saluki pup thinks the click and treat routine is great fun.
Again, thanks for the concise explanation. No doubt, I will have more
quesitons as I go along.

Jill Gross