(VICT) Re: Clyde.

  • From: "Diane & Raven" <dlshotwell2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 16:45:04 -0500

>>She started coming up with new games to
exercise my mind...  She would give me false leads on the location of =
her
ball -- pretending it was under the futon or the microwave stand where =
she
couldn't get it.  Then encourage me to look with little licks and wags =
of
her tail. <<
Misty may be interpreting what you are teaching her a little differently than
what you intended.

I know this has happened on occasion.  I had this one dog we were teaching for
the non-profit.  We were doing our regular teaching routine to teach the dog a
controlled exit from a vehicle.  The dog was being taught to not exit the van
until given a cue.  We set up the routine where I would stay in the van and my
husband would exit and do some distracting moves and than give the cue to the
dog. While this was going on I would hold a long lead that would be a safety
line do the dog could not move beyond our grasp if it did exit the van.

Well this dog was doing amazingly well we thought...all kind of distractions
and even false come noise etc.  Than we increased the criteria and I was not in
the van any longer.  Well, we had the hardest time because the dog would leave
the van before the cue was given if I was not in the van... we thought it was
me being in the van that was the problem so we started doing the behavior with
the reverse roll... when we started to understand what we had done!

Before my husband would exit the van, in the initial stages of teaching this
behavior, he would hand me the safety lead.  This very observant dog had picked
up on that physical cue.  So that as long as the lead was first handed to
someone else the dog would stay in the van!! the lead was not handed over the
dog thought it could exit the van...oops... these observant and intuitive
poodles... so we changed the exit cue and started all over again..  now the dog
is wonderful with the controlled exit.  It is tough when the student is more
observant than the teacher!! smile.

Maybe Misty likes you down at her level and it makes you laugh when she kisses
you when you are down there and that is a reward for her. giggle...

some dogs are very creative....

Best Wishes & Wags,
Diane & Raven
APDT#72225
http://AssistanceDogJournal.net
"My Assistance Dog is not my whole life, but she makes my life
whole"~D.L.Shotwell