(VICT) Re: Clyde.

  • From: "Tamara Smith-Kinney" <tamara.8024@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 12:11:48 -0800

What a fun partner!  I'm ready to run out and get me one of those right =
now.
/smile/  Maybe I'll wait another 9 or 10 years (crossed fingers) until =
my
current partner is ready to retire.

The people and atmosphere on this list are a wonderful perk on top of =
the
excellent training discussions.  I was pleasantly surprised when I first
started reading, but given the subject matter, I shouldn't have been.
Positive training does seem to spill over into one's interactions with
people, too, doesn't it?

What delights me most about Mitsy is how interactive with me she is as a
guide.  Part of that comes from positive training, of course.  But she's
very happy to learn new skills and new objects.  She's also starting to =
take
her responsibilities very seriously -- and to expect me to stay on top =
of
mine.  Yesterday, we were cruising along on our regular route for =
errands,
and I had my mind on other things since I didn't have to worry about =
where I
was going.  Mitsy slowed down, stopped and turned to give me *The Look*.
As soon as I had my mind back on the task at hand, she pulled into the
harness again and off we went.  Whatever you say, Boss!  /lol/  I've =
been
using some of Diane's suggestions to come up with new games to exercise =
her
mind while her paw was sore.  She started coming up with new games to
exercise my mind...  She would give me false leads on the location of =
her
ball -- pretending it was under the futon or the microwave stand where =
she
couldn't get it.  Then encourage me to look with little licks and wags =
of
her tail.  I would look in all the places she can't reach, then find it =
in a
perfectly accessible place.  When I finally realized what she was doing, =
just cracked up.  Who's training who around here?

Happy and prosperous new year!

Tami Smith-Kinney

Date:=3D20