(VICT) Input on Behavior

  • From: "Karyn and Thane" <bcpaws4me@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Vi-clicker" <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 17:05:32 -0800

I could use some input on something that happened today. Please remember
that Thane is young (will be a year soon) and has only been with me a couple
months.
We have not had much success with leash training but I am trying hard and
know we will succeed. I am not happy with any of the gear I have for Thane
and honestly the GL is worse than anything but hopefully the gear problem
will be rectified soon as I am going to make him a harness.
Anyway we went for a short walk this afternoon- only because Thane kept
showing me my shoes Smile
Thane loves people so rather than trying to fight with his love to go say
hello to the world and ruin my shoulder even worse, sometimes I opt to just
stop, put Thane in a *sit and let people pass by. Today we got in a weird
scenario though. I knew someone was there by Thane's reaction but it took me
a while to figure out just where. This person would not move on to save our
souls. If they said anything it certainly was not loud enough for me. I was
getting a bit uneasy about the situation. All of a sudden Thane barked a
couple times. I finally decided to take him home rather than deal with what
could have been an unsafe scenario. I did not know the person whether they
were male or female and it was far later than when school buses drop off
kids here.
How could i have dealt with this differently but in a manner that I could be
in control of the situation. I suspect Thane barked because the person was
not following the *rules* as he had become accustomed to- that is, they did
not walk by when he was placed in a *sit* and I pulled over. I don't want
him thinking he needs to take control of people who are not following the
rules. Chances are this person was standing there *gaulking* at us. I have
gotten that more times than I care to count since using a guide cane along
with my wheelchair. No one gaulked when  Met was guiding me so enough
already ya know.
On the other hand, I want to be sure I am not overlooking a problem erupting
behaviorly with Thane. I doubt that is what it is but would really like to
hear others thoughts about the situation. Once he had barked at whoever this
was, I just felt more comfortable leaving since I had no idea who this
person was or why they had refused to move when offered before he even
considered barking- I just had no idea what this persons intentions were and
I felt a bit unnerved, Being deaf blind does add additional complications as
many of the approaches usually used to gain information about ones
environment when they are blind just are not feasible when one is deaf
blind. I am just hoping that I can get some input on how to handle things
differently before Thane feels the need to bark at the person.

Karyn and Thane